Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blind hem tutorial

This tutorial is more for me,
but if it helps you out that is great too!

I'm not trying to sound selfish,
it is just that every time I go to hem my pants I have to relearn how to do a blind hem.
So yesterday as I was hemming my pants before work I took pictures along the way.
So here goes.

First, find pants that need to be hemmed, for me that would be most of them

Second, turn pants inside out.
Then roll to desired length.
Now the rolling step may be avoided if you are only hemming an inch or so,
in this case I was hemming about 4 inches so if I didn't roll it my hem would be 4 inches up my leg 
and that would look silly.

Third, take pants in your hand.
This is the crucial step.
Fold the section you are hemming back inside of the pant leg with about an 1/8 inch hanging out.

So it looks like this.
I should have labeled this picture, sorry.
The little 1/8 inch section closest to my palm is the hemming section, 
the part on the left is the rest of the pant leg

Fourth, pin in place.
It should look like this when you are finished.
Or even better if you are really precise

Now, for these next parts I used a sewing machine.
If you use a sewing machine it must have a blind hem foot and stitch.
If your sewing machine doesn't have either of these then you can do it by hand.
Unfortunately, I can't help you with that because I've never done it that way... maybe someday I'll try it.
Maybe.... probably not, sorry. :)

So back to the tutorial.
Fifth, place your fabric under the foot so that the little fin thing is right at the edge of the rest of the pant leg,
then sew all the way around.

Sixth, inspect your work..
I didn't catch some of the pant leg part so I had to go back and make sure I got it.
Then take the pins out and turn right side out.

Then it is good to iron it so that it lays nice.

That's it, you are finished! YAY!

PS If you have to unpick it and start over 15 times, that's okay too :) I've been there!

No comments:

Post a Comment