Fast forward a few months, we needed to save up for another round of IVF. In the meantime, we also searched for a new fertility office to go to since our last experience with our previous doctor was less than ideal (I spared quite a few details because it makes my blood boil to talk about it... lol! I literally yelled at the receptionist over the phone, which I don't usually do, I'm usually fairly passive when I actually talk to people, in my mind I tell myself to be more assertive, but it doesn't usually happen. But not this time! lol!... sorry to that girl if she ever stumbles across this).
In February or March, we found a doctor in the nearest city to us! It's actually a satellite office with their main office about 2.5 hours away, but learned we'd only have to go there a few times, so we decided to look into more. Then we found out that they had open houses at their offices, so we signed up for one. We even got to speak with the doctor for 20 minutes for FREE. Free isn't a word that is ever associated with fertility stuff, like seriously ever. We were sold. The doctor and the staff were super awesome to us. The open house was in March, we started the next round in April.
I actually started the shots and such like 2 days before our half marathon...lol.
I was a little unsure about our dosages and such because it was exactly the same as with Sweet Girl and I had overstimulated with her and had to coast for a few days and didn't want to do that again. They told me it would be okay and to watch for signs of overstimulation... lol which are seriously the same side effects of the medications so it's hard to differentiate. But I felt fine, just a little bloated at times.
I'm not sure if it's because I was in shape or what, but my body went crazy! When we went in for the egg retrieval, he retrieved ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE follicles! 105... with Sweet Girl we had 11. 105 is seriously a record. The embryologist came in when we had our transfer and said, "I had to meet you! You are a record!" He also said before me, the highest he'd seen was like 80, but I blew that out of the water! Lol!
Unfortunately, that really isn't the best thing. I could have had a lot of complications, my ovary could have burst because the space where the follicles were could fill with fluid and rupture my ovary. Thankfully, that didn't happen. The nurses told me to constantly drink gatorade and water to help my body flush out the fluid. I got so sick of gatorade that it started to actually make me sick! But we made it through.
Also, because of this we had to wait a month while my body recovered before we did the transfer. So instead of doing a fresh cycle we started a frozen embryo cycle at the end of May through June. Which was kind of entertaining because we didn't tell our siblings that we were doing the IVF and we visited with my siblings a few times and my brother had to give me a shot. He and his wife asked a lot of questions trying to get me to tell them, but I gave super vague responses and kept it a secret and swore our parents to secrecy (one of my sisters did know because she lived in our town and watched Sweet Girl for us several times for appointments and such).
In the middle of June we had our embryo transfer, we ended up with 18 embryos. We transferred two embryos. This doctor does an ultrasound while he transfers them so we got to watch the whole thing, it was pretty awesome! I had to be on bed rest for three days, my parents came down and helped out during that time, which was super nice of them! My mom ended up staying for basically three weeks because I wasn't supposed to do any housework or lift anything for a long time. Thankfully it was the summer so she could stay so long! June 28th we had our first blood work, this doctor also calls after the each blood work to tell you the results. The number was 1750 or something like that! June 30th was the second one and the number 3050 or something close to that! I looked on the internet and it told us that high numbers can indicate multiples but an ultrasound is the most accurate way to know. We actually did a third blood test since the number didn't quite double like it should, and that next number was 15,000 or something crazy like that, so we knew it was okay!
The secret was killing us! But we wanted to wait until we knew for sure if it was one or two babies. We decided waiting until our family reunion was the perfect time because we would see both sides of the family on the way to and at the reunion. We actually didn't tell our parents that we were having the ultrasound so we could surprise them too, we told them it had to be after the reunion. We had a book to tell my side and a cross-stitch to tell my in-laws. Everyone was SHOCKED when we told them it was in fact TWINS! It was so fun to be able to surprise everyone!
In October we found out that two boys will be joining our family! We are so excited! And seriously both of us were completely surprised! I figured it was either two girls or one of each, but I thought there was NO way it was two boys! But these boys weren't shy about showing us that they are boys.. showing their faces was another story.. silly boys!
Sweet Girl is so excited about her brothers and loved seeing them on the tv screen they had the ultrasound machine connected to at the doctor's office. She loves "holding them" (holding their ultrasound pictures). We have the ultrasounds on the fridge and I bumped them the other day and she said, "Mommy! Be careful of my brothers!" It was adorable!
Heavenly Father knows what He's doing! I never understand the timing, but everything does truly work out for the best! I'm grateful for His plan for our lives! I am so grateful for the family He has blessed us with!
No comments:
Post a Comment