Monday, September 12, 2011

Remember

In 2001, my family went on a big trip back East. We had a family reunion in Boston, it was so much fun! 
We drove across the country in our Suburban. 
We stayed at KOAs and other campsites in our camper trailer.
We saw SO many places,
we went to Boston, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Nauvoo, Philadelphia, Washington DC, to name a few.
We saw SO many sites
Church History sites, Civil War Sites, Revolutionary War Sites,
we also saw this:
In fact we got a really neat picture in front of the skyline.
Unfortunately my eyes were all red and puffy because I wanted to go to the Statue of Liberty really badly
and we missed the last ferry.
(I need to get that picture from my mom)
Little did I know that less than a month later people would be missing a LOT more than that.
Little did I know that less than a month later that site would look a LOT different.

That day started out pretty normal for me.
My cousin picked me up for school.
We got to school at about 6:50-6:55 like we did everyday.
I walked into my first class, Algebra II honors, and everyone was glued to the TV.
I didn't know what was going on, so I sat down and started watching.
I believe around this time the first tower had been hit, but the second one hadn't yet.
We spent the entire class period watching it.
I don't believe anyone really said anything.
We just watched.
Second period I had English,
and it was picture day so I'll always remember what I wore that day.
A blue plaid shirt with these awesome black pants that I wore pretty much everyday they were clean.
But after we got back from taking out pictures we watched the coverage.
Third period, Chemistry.
We watched the coverage.
I watched the coverage in every single class that day, including Seminary I believe,
except my history class..
which I thought was ironic since everyone kept saying that that day would be one we never forget.
My history teacher did talk to us about it instead,
which I was grateful for because we were all pretty confused I think.
I didn't understand why it would be a day that we never forgot.
In fact I thought my teachers were kind of crazy when they told us that.
But they were right.
They told me that I would never forget what I was doing when I found out,
they told me I would never forget what I was wearing,
they told me that I would never forget what I felt.
They were right.
I don't think I've ever felt more vulnerable in my life.
You see, my dad is a firefighter.
It hit close to home.
And I was afraid that it would really hit close to home.
I am so grateful for those firemen and policemen (and women) who risked their lives to help others.
Who do it every day.
I have a prayer in my heart for those people that lost loved ones in such a horrific way.
I hope they know that I care about them and that I remember.

P.S. President Monson wrote an article for the Washington Post about 9/11, you can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. We were remembering yesterday being in high school too and watching the news in every class period in disbelief. :( I can't believe you guys were there within a month. You will have to post that pic of you. Me and Allie went 9 months after and saw the memorial site.

    ReplyDelete