Friday, May 4, 2012

Appointment Questions

So I promise I'll post other things again soon,
and I promise this won't turn into an infertility blog only,
but it is definitely part of our life,
a pretty big part.
So I will talk about it.

And I have a question.

I'm hoping that one of our sweet readers will have some knowledge on the subject.
Actually I hope that none of you have ever had to struggle with infertility,
but if you have, I'm sorry, and I'm wondering if you have any information on this subject.

It starts with a story,
because I can't tell things without a story, 
ask my old roommates, but seriously that is another story.

So yesterday I had an appointment with my doctors.
An appointment to see if everything was clear to start another round of clomid.
This is our 6th round,
I know the drill.
The doctor comes in, he checks, he says looks good 
(although one month it didn't look good, but a couple weeks later we were good),
then he says to get dressed and meet him out at the nurses' desk to talk,
we go out there, he doesn't really talk but the nurse hands me a clomid rx, I ask a few questions,
I pay, drive three hours home, and get my clomid.

Yesterday, it went almost the same,
but the doctor came in and instead of immediately getting the job done,
he asked me, "So how many rounds have we done?"
I answer, "We've done 5, this will be the 6th."
Then he says, "You do know that they get less effective the more you do, right?"
Me, "uhh, No"
Time out for a second.
I'm not sure if you are like me but I have a hard time asking questions,
I get stuck on whatever bomb they just dropped on me and I can't think.
That's why I like to have my sweet husband with me, because he always asks the questions I can't think of.
But yesterday, he wasn't there. He has a big test at work this week, so he wasn't able to take the time off.
Okay, back to the story.

So then the doctor continues to explain to me how my sweet husband's numbers are volatile, 
and how with my surgery I have scar tissue and that effects it,
and then he says, "but you are young"
and my other favorite line, "I don't want to discourage you."
Uhh, too late.

All I could think of is, why am I here? Are they just taking my money at this point? And why didn't the doctor that we had the re-consultation with tell us these things?
But those questions never made it out.
Now I'm left wondering.
So I'm wondering if any of you have any knowledge on the subject.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Addie. I've never heard of that. :( I'll ask some of my other friends that know about infertility stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has this app on his phone... About rx's since he is a pharmacy tech and ore pharmacy... Anyway. He just read that they recommend a max of 6 cycles of clomid. The app is skyscape. I don't know anymore than that, but it might be some info for ya anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know it got less effective but I do think most doctors like yours don't pay too close attention to where you are at because they overbook themselves and don't remember their patients. I have found with fertility stuff we have had to very forward with what we do and don't want and ask for the docs opinion on OUR decision. Our doc in LA was really good about keeping track and being realistic and telling us when he though we were going down a dead end before cranking out more money. I feel for ya!

    ReplyDelete