Friday, April 20, 2012

Update

I thought I'd give a little fertility update.
We've been going to our new doctors for about 6 months now.
We've done 5 IUIs (intrauterine insemination).
From the beginning we decided that after three we would step back and decide if we still were doing what we felt was best. We chose three because that's how many our insurance would help with.
But we waited until we had done four, then we decided we needed a break.
I don't know if you've ever had to do this, 
but trust me, it is emotionally, physically, spiritually exhausting at times.
So in March we decided to have a re-consult with our fertility doctors 
and we also met with a social worker at LDS Family Services, about adoption. 
Both my sweet husband and I felt that it was really important that we feel totally ready to adopt and in a way give up the idea that we would have biological children before we started the adoption process.
But we decided that meeting with her and finding out information would really help us know what we should do.
We also weren't sure if stopping the fertility treatments was what we wanted either, 
so that's why we met with them again.
So we took a day off and went to both.
And they both went really well.
We met with LDS Family Services first,
it was really good, she answered all of our questions, and she gave us lots of information.
We left feeling much better about it, but we still weren't sure if it was right for us.
Although, we both said that we felt if we ever did decide that adoption was the path we needed to take we would feel much better about it.
Then we met with one of our fertility doctors 
(the place we go to has 4 and they rotate, so we have a different one almost every time).
I have to say, I LOVE the place we go to.
They always seem to remember you and they don't ask me every time why I'm there, they don't even ask what procedure we're doing or what I was taking, they know! I love it.
Now you are probably thinking why wouldn't they, but my last doctor NEVER knew why I was there, she would ask me every time if I wanted to get pregnant... uh yes! LOOK AT MY CHART!
Sorry, I digress.
So we go into the doctor's office and he said, "Sorry, I'm just finishing looking at your chart."
I really wanted to say, "Thank you! Thank you for really looking to figure out what we should do."
He told us that he felt that doing a few more IUIs would be good for us because we are young and have plenty of time (they tell us this all the time, not my favorite because I'm a tad impatient, but whatever), and it is also the least expensive route.
He told us to do three more rounds and hopefully not have to do all three, but three more would be our limit because he said there is some study that shows if you do more than 12 months of clomid you are more likely to develop ovarian cancer. So we decided to trust his judgment on that one.
He did tell us that we had other options before jumping to IVF if the three don't work.
The other option is giving myself injections everyday, the injections would do the same thing as the clomid.
We asked what our chances were with any of these procedures and our doctor said, "Looking at your chart I would say that you have a great chance with any of them."
That made us feel really good!
So we all decided that we would try the three IUIs 
with supplemental estrogen pills as well as the clomid. 
So we're in the middle of that right now.
We are praying everything will work out.
I know it will someday, I just hope that day is some day soon.... lol.

6 comments:

  1. We went through the EXACT same thing! We saw so many doctors before I found the right one, and that makes all the difference to have confidence in a doctor who you can trust. As far as the impatience, you are totally justified on that one, it's the hardest 2 week period of your life, and the most heart wrenching finding out yet again, it didn't take... We are praying for you guys and know it will work out. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I seriously wouldn't mind a chat, infertility is a beast to go through and sometimes it's really nice to vent to someone other than your spouse who hears about it ALL THE TIME. :) I will tell you infertility made my pregnancy and everything with Maxwell's health care a JOY to go through. so whatever trial you face now, when your little peanut is here, you will love him/her with more love than you ever thought possible. (it's hard to imagine I know!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I keep hearing about infertility that people are struggling with and my heart just aches for you. I pray specifically each night for the people I know struggling with it, and I definitely will pray for you as well. I'm glad you found someone that you trust and actually looked at your chart... I pray things go well for you! I know its hard to be so open about such personal things, so I admire your honesty. In my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addie, I love you so much and think about you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you well with the rest of your IUI's... you are so strong and patient, and I will continue to pray for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all are SO sweet! Thank you for your kind comments and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang tough! I am thinking of you both and hoping/praying things are on the up and up!

    ReplyDelete